Faculty and students of the Sophia M. Gurevitch Gymnasium
Photomontage of the faculty and students of the 16th graduating class of the Sofia M. Gurevitch Gymnasium in Vilna. The school started as a high school for girls in 1906, with Russian as the language of instruction. After 1922, classes were taught exclusively in Yiddish. The school also admitted boy students and expanded to include an elementary school. (Top, center) school founder Sofia Gurevitch; (2nd row, 4th from right) Yiddish poet-teacher Moyshe Kulbak; (2nd row, 2nd from left) student Bentsye Mikhtom. Mikhtom later became an artist affiliated with the literary group Yung Vilne.